Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

Really?




For those of you who know me, you know I’m French. For those who don’t, forgive my English. I’m trying very hard but there will always be mistakes in the language. I can’t help it, and this is not what I want to talk about anyway.
 
Like a lot of people, I have a Facebook account. Wonderful tool, isn’t it? You can see everything that’s going on in the world. It’s better than TV news.
 
Anyway, I noticed a face on my feeds, a face of a man who appears a lot in my friends’ posts. At first, I didn’t pay attention. Then, seeing him more and more often, I decided to look more closely to that bearded man everybody was talking about. So I made some research. And wow!
 
Ok, let me introduce to this guy just in case you don’t know who he is (yea, like he’s not becoming the most anti-gay man on the planet!)
 
Phil Robertson (oh, you guessed I was talking about him, didn’t you?). He’s starring in an American reality show called Duck Dynasty which is following the life of the Robertson family, who became wealthy through their family company called Duck Commander, which mainly produces decoys for duck hunting. So yes, I understand the enthusiasm this show is provoking: a family who loves nature, and furthermore, Christians. Like me actually. But that is where the comparison ends.
 
You would think that these kind of people would be loving and caring. You couldn’t be more wrong. Everything about the head of the family, Phil, is hate and disrespect. And he’s using the Bible to defame a group of people, asserting horrible things about them, and doesn’t understand what he's doing is wrong.
 
Comparing homosexuality to bestiality? Really? And people are defending him in the name of free speech?
 
Let me quote some of his not-so-smart comments:
 
It seems, like, to me, a vagina-as a man- should be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”
 
Start with homosexuality behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men… It’s not right.”
 
Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers-they won’t inherit the kingdom of God.”
 
*Blinks*
 
And now, we learned that he made a speech in 2010 on homosexuality. In a video Robertson called same-sex sexual activities “shameful” and “perversions.” He also implied that homosexuality was a result of people who “suppress the truth about God,” therefore, causing God's wrath. “Women with women, men with men. They committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions. They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil.”
 
*blinks again*
 
And then, he made a statement after all this was said: “I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity”.
 
You know what these “excuses” look like to me? Like someone who doesn’t want to lose his show. He revels in his fame and he doesn't want to lose it. He has already infringed 3 of the 7 deadly sins: Greed, envy, and Pride.
 
If you add to that the lie (and by that I mean the poor “excuses” he made), he doesn’t look to me like a good Christian!
 
And what about the free speech?
 
We can read in the article 4 of the French Declaration of Human and Citizen Rights on August 26, 1789: "One person's freedom ends where another's begins."
 
Or more precisely: "Freedom is being able to do anything that does not harm others: thus, the exercise of the natural rights of each man has no limits except those which assure to the other members of the society the enjoyment of these same rights."
 
So, yes, free speech is one of your rights, but if by doing so you’re hurting someone—or as referred here a group of people—then this freedom is revoked. You can think whatever you want, Mr Robertson, you do have this freedom. But when you talk in front of millions of people, you need to pay attention to your words!
 
And I’m going to stop here because my blood is literally boiling right now. I can’t believe people like that still exist and are “liked” and “supported” by tons of zealots. Words cut deeply, Mr Robertson! You should never forget it. You’re not God, you have no right to judge!
 

1 comment:

  1. I have absolutely no respect for anyone who's comments are identical to those from back in the 3rd century. No development. Scary.

    ReplyDelete